Democratic Republic of the Congo
(UN News) The UN is rushing emergency personnel, funding and supplies into eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to counter the fast-growing Ebola outbreak spreading through conflict-ravaged provinces. The UN World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday raised the national risk assessment for DRC to “very high” – although the global risk remains “low”. So far, 82 cases and seven deaths have been confirmed in DRC, but WHO says the real scale of the outbreak is likely far larger, with nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths reported. The outbreak is unfolding amid intensified fighting, mass displacement and deep mistrust of outside authorities, fuelled by rumours and misinformation. One hospital in Ituri province on Thursday was set on fire by angry relatives after authorities refused to release the body of a deceased family member, fearing contamination, according to reports. – Ebola risk ‘very high’ in eastern DR Congo as UN intensifies response | UN News
Gaza
(UN News) Dire conditions in Gaza marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of infectious disease are being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday. Recently returned from a visit to the devastated enclave, Dr. Renee Van de Weerdt, the World Health Organization (WHO)’s representative in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, told reporters in Geneva, “Nothing prepares you for Gaza”. “I thought going in the second time would make things easier. But it just doesn’t,” she said. Dr. Van de Weerdt underscored that since the October 2025 ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at least 880 people have been killed in the Strip and more than 2,600 injured. “There is perhaps less fire, but the violence continues,” she said. “We hear bombs nearby. There is gunfire every day.” – Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground | UN News
US
(Avery Lotz, Marc Caputo – Axios) Tulsi Gabbard, President Trump’s director of national intelligence, announced Friday she is leaving the administration. Gabbard wrote in her resignation letter that her departure is related to her husband’s diagnosis with an “extremely rare form of bone cancer”. “At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” she wrote. “Abraham has been my rock throughout our eleven years of marriage — standing steadfast through my deployment to East Africa on a Joint Special Operations mission, multiple political campaigns, and now my service in this role”. Gabbard’s resignation will go into effect on June 30. Aaron Lukas, the principal deputy director of national intelligence, will take over as acting director of national intelligence, Trump said in a Truth Social post. – Tulsi Gabbard resigns as director of national intelligence
(Neil Irwin, Courtenay Brown – Axios) The Warsh era begins with soaring inflation, a Middle East energy shock bleeding into other parts of the economy and colleagues skeptical that rate cuts should come anytime soon. Kevin Warsh faces more political pressure to deliver lower rates than any other Federal Reserve chair in recent memory. The 17th Fed chair, sworn in Friday at the White House, inherits a set of economic conditions that make it difficult to justify cutting rates. Despite President Trump’s unprecedented pressure on Warsh’s predecessor, Jerome Powell, to cut rates, the president struck a different tone on Friday. Honestly, I really mean this: I want Kevin to be totally independent and just do a great job. Don’t look at me, don’t look at anybody. Just do your own thing and do a great job,” Trump said at Warsh’s swearing-in ceremony. – New Fed chair Warsh inherits big economic obstacles
War in Ukraine
(Volodymyr Ivanyshyn – The Kyiv Independent) NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on May 22 underscored support for Ukraine and said he hopes to better spread military support for Kyiv among Europe’s members of the alliance. “What I want to achieve is that the burden is more evenly spread, that there is more burden sharing here. Because at the moment, it is only six or seven allies who are doing the heavy lifting,” Rutte said at the Meeting of NATO Foreign Ministers. After U.S. President Donald Trump rolled back military aid for Ukraine, Kyiv’s European allies have largely footed the bill to support Ukraine. – Rutte hopes to achieve ‘more evenly spread’ military support for Ukraine among Europe’s NATO members
(Volodymyr Ivanyshyn – The Kyiv Independent) A fire broke out at a fuel terminal in the southern Russian city of Novorossiysk overnight on May 23 amid a Ukrainian drone attack, local authorities and media channels reported. The Grushovaya oil terminal, part of the major Sheskharis Transshipment Complex, was struck by Ukrainian drones, leaving a fire, independent Telegram news channel Exilenova Plus reported. Meanwhile, the Krasnodar Krai Operational Headquarters claimed that the fire broke out at an unnamed facility as a result of fallen drone debris. – Fire at Novorossiysk fuel terminal amid Ukrainian drone attack, Russian authorities say
(UN News) The United Nations voiced alarm on Friday over reports of an overnight attack on a vocational school and dormitory in the town of Starobilsk in Ukraine’s Luhansk region which killed and injured multiple civilians, including children. The UN does not have access to the area – which is under temporary Russian occupation – and cannot verify the details of the reported strike. UNICEF Deputy Executive Director Ted Chaiban said the dormitory had reportedly housed at least 86 adolescents aged between 14 and 18. “The attack reportedly left six dead and dozens of others injured, including children,” he said during an emergency Security Council meeting in New York. Mr. Chaiban added that rescue operations were still underway and that “it is too early to know the full extent of the casualties.” – Ukraine: UN alarmed by reports of deadly strike on dormitory in occupied Luhansk | UN News
World Urban Forum
(UN News) A landmark gathering of more than 57,000 participants – the largest in the history of the World Urban Forum – closed on Friday in Baku with an urgent call to rethink how the world houses its people, as a new roadmap urges governments, cities and communities to act collectively on a crisis affecting billions. The Baku Call to Action, shaped by voices from 176 countries, sets out a shared path forward, including: Reframing housing as a system, linking homes with land, infrastructure, transport, services and economic opportunity rather than treating construction in isolation; Confronting interconnected pressures – from rising costs and land speculation to displacement, weak governance and climate shocks – through integrated, people-centred solutions; Recognizing housing and climate justice as inseparable, with the most vulnerable communities facing the greatest exposure to floods, extreme heat and environmental risks; Scaling up climate-resilient housing, including through nature-based solutions, retrofitting, upgrading informal settlements and strengthening disaster preparedness; Turning commitments into action, with stronger multilevel governance, expanded financing, better data and greater support for locally led, community-driven solutions. – World Urban Forum backs ‘Baku Call to Action’ on global housing crisis | UN News



