China – Africa
(Global Times) China will implement zero-tariff treatment for 53 African countries that have diplomatic relations with it, starting May 1. This major policy initiative positions China as the first major economy in the world to grant unilateral and comprehensive zero-tariff treatment to all African countries that have diplomatic relations with China, as well as to all least developed countries that maintain diplomatic relations with China. This “unilateral and full-coverage” arrangement is not just a “subtraction” in tariffs, but also an “addition” for development, a “multiplication” for people’s livelihoods, and a “division” of arbitrary tariff impositions. – Expanding the pie of China-Africa cooperation through ‘subtraction’: Global Times editorial – Global Times
China – Australia
(Wang Qi and Zhang Yuying – Global Times) China and Australia on Wednesday held the eighth China-Australia foreign and strategic dialogue in Beijing. A Chinese expert says that the development indicates that the two comprehensive strategic partners are taking a further step to sustain high-level interaction momentum and promote stable development of bilateral relations in a world fraught with turmoil and uncertainty. The foreign and strategic dialogue, co-chaired by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, marks the eighth edition since the mechanism was established in 2013. According to information released by China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the previous seventh round of the China-Australia Foreign and Strategic Dialogue was co-chaired by Wang and Wong in Canberra in March 2024. – China, Australia hold 8th foreign and strategic dialogue in Beijing; expert says mechanism helps enhance mutual trust, sustain sound ties – Global Times
China – US
(Zhang Yiyi – The Global Times) The US Department of Commerce last week ordered multiple chip equipment companies to halt certain tool shipments to China’s second-largest chipmaker, Huahong, in the US’ latest move to curb China’s advanced chip development, Reuters reported on Wednesday citing sources. When asked to comment on the reported US move at a regular press conference on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said that China has made clear more than once its principled position on US export of chips to China. We hope the US will take concrete actions to keep the global supply chains stable and unimpeded, Lin said. Chinese experts said repeated US attempts to curb China’s advanced chip development are political moves that disrupt global supply chains and are unlikely to halt China’s semiconductor progress. Instead, they may spur China’s domestic investment and innovation while causing US companies to lose market opportunities. – US repeated chip curbs against China reflect recurring protectionist mindset, become less effective as they create cycle of pressure, breakthrough: expert – Global Times
Europe – Hungary
(Milena Wälde – Politico) Incoming Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar met European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in Brussels on Wednesday in an effort to unlock frozen EU cash — with a political deal now targeted for late May. Billions of euros in EU funding that could have gone to Hungary have spent years in limbo because of disagreements between Brussels and the policies of outgoing Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán. “I can say that the negotiations are progressing very well so far,” Magyar said in a Facebook reel ahead of the talks, citing “constructiveness” from EU institutions and member states. He confirmed he will return to Brussels on May 24–25 to conclude a “public political agreement.” – Magyar targets May deal to unlock €10B of EU funds for Hungary – POLITICO
Europe – Ukraine
(Gabriel Gavin and Nicholas Vinocur – Politico) EU countries are preparing a package of short-term benefits for Ukraine to bring it closer to the bloc after capitals rejected plans to fast-track full membership. The emerging offer would include greater market access and deeper participation in EU programs and institutions, four diplomats familiar with the discussions, granted anonymity to discuss the confidential negotiations, told POLITICO. “Ukraine’s priority remains full EU membership,” Ukraine’s ambassador to the bloc, Vsevolod Chentsov, told POLITICO. “But we also expect early, tangible steps that bring integration into effect now.” – EU plans ‘pre-entry’ perks for Ukraine as fast-track membership hopes dim – POLITICO
Freedom of the press
(France 24) Reporters sans frontières (RSF) alerte jeudi sur une dégradation de la liberté de la presse à l’échelle mondiale depuis 25 ans. Si des journalistes sont toujours tués ou emprisonnés en raison de leur travail, les pressions économiques, politiques et juridiques s’intensifient, d’après l’ONG. Les États-Unis, sur fond d’attaques répétées de Donald Trump, chutent à la 64e au classement mondial. – La liberté de la presse dans la pire situation depuis 25 ans, selon Reporters sans frontières – France 24
Oil prices
(John Liu and Stephanie Yang – CNN) Oil prices surpassed $126 a barrel on Thursday morning, its highest price since 2022, as President Donald Trump mulls an extended blockade of Iranian ports. Brent crude, the global benchmark, was up more than 12% overnight into Thursday, before paring some gains to trade at $124 as of 2:28 am Thursday. WTI crude, the US benchmark, was up more than 3%, surpassing $110 per barrel. The latest surge comes as the national average US gas price reached a four-year high of around $4.23, according to AAA data, as a result of the skyrocketing energy prices triggered by the US-Iran war, which has driven prices up more than 27%. – Brent crude oil prices surge above $125, highest level since 2022 | CNN Business
Russia – Ukraine
(Reuters/Al Arabiya) Ukraine will seek clarification from US President Donald Trump’s team on details of Russia’s short-term ceasefire proposal, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Thursday. – Ukraine to seek clarification from US on Russia’s ceasefire proposal
(Reuters/Al Arabiya) Ukraine’s top general on Thursday ordered a mandatory two-month time limit for front-line troops serving in forward positions, aiming to address a key challenge for Kyiv’s outmanned military in the fifth year of war with Moscow. Oleksandr Syrskyi’s decree comes amid frequent and often harrowing reports of Ukrainian soldiers serving for months at a time under fire as they struggle to hold back slow but steady Russian advances. – Ukraine’s army chief orders time limit for frontline troops
(Sonya Bandouil – The Kyiv Independent) At least two fuel storage tanks caught fire at an oil pumping station in Russia’s Perm Krai following a drone attack on April 30, according to Russian Telegram channels and local media. Independent Telegram news channel, Exilenova Plus, reported that there was fire damage to between two and three storage tanks at the facility, which is operated by Transneft. – Russia’s Perm oil station struck for 2nd straight day by Ukrainian drones, fires reported
(Gregory Svirnovskiy – Politico) President Donald Trump projected confidence that a resolution to the Russia-Ukraine war would come “relatively quickly” after a phone call with President Vladimir Putin Wednesday in which the two leaders discussed their countries’ respective conflicts with Kyiv and Tehran. “I think he’d like to see a solution,” Trump told reporters in an Oval Office press conference. “I can tell you. And that’s good.” – Trump, Putin talk about each other’s wars in Wednesday phone call – POLITICO
(Volodymyr Ivanyshyn – The Kyiv Independent) Ukrainian drones struck an explosives plant in Russia’s Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, and explosions were heard overnight on April 30, social media channels reported. In Dzerzhinsk, Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, the Sverdlov Explosives plant was struck by Ukrainian drones, independent Russian Telegram news channel Astra reported, citing local residents. The state-owned plant is an integral part of Russia’s defense sector, producing ammunition, explosives, and industrial chemicals for the war against Ukraine. – Ukrainian drones reportedly strike Russian explosives plant in Nizhny Novgorod Oblast
US
(Reuters/Al Arabiya) Former FBI Director James Comey appeared in federal court in Virginia on Wednesday, a day after being indicted over a social media post that prosecutors allege threatened President Donald Trump. Comey turned himself in on two charges, including threatening the life of the president and transmitting threats across state lines. The former FBI director did not speak during a brief court appearance. His attorney, Patrick Fitzgerald, said he would argue that the case is a vindictive prosecution, meaning it was brought to punish Comey for exercising his legal rights. – Ex-FBI chief Comey released after indictment over alleged threat against Trump
(David DiMolfetta – NextGov) Republican-led House committees are investigating Airbnb and Anysphere, the maker of the AI coding platform Cursor, over their use of artificial intelligence models developed by Chinese companies. The House Homeland Security Committee and the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party sent letters Wednesday to the companies’ CEOs requesting details about their use of Chinese-built AI systems, the rationale behind those choices and any communications the firms have had with the model providers. The letters — signed by Homeland Security Chairman Andrew Garbarino, R-N.Y., and China Select Committee Chairman John Moolenaar, R-Mich. — also ask that employees involved in those decisions participate in an in-person briefing with lawmakers. – House panels probe Airbnb, Anysphere over use of Chinese AI models – Nextgov/FCW
(Chris Teale – NextGov) House Republicans rolled out yet another proposal for national data privacy legislation that once again would preempt existing state laws, drawing a torrent of criticism. Leaders on the House Energy and Commerce and Financial Services Committees unveiled two pieces of legislation last week: the Securing and Establishing Consumer Uniform Rights and Enforcement over Data Act, known as the SECURE Data Act, and the Guidelines for Use, Access, and Responsible Disclosure of Financial Data Act, known as the GUARD Financial Data Act. – Congress tries again on national preemptive data privacy law – Nextgov/FCW
(Frank Konkel – NextGov) Through a new pilot program announced this week, the Food and Drug Administration will use artificial intelligence and cloud computing to monitor clinical trial data in real time, an effort that could ultimately shave years off the approval timelines for new drugs, devices and medications. FDA commissioner Marty Makary announced “the first ever real-time clinical trial” Tuesday at a press conference held at FDA’s headquarters in Silver Spring, Md. “Today is a milestone day for us to challenge the assumption that it takes 10 to 12 years for a new drug to come to market.” – FDA to pilot real-time clinical drug trials through cloud and AI – Nextgov/FCW
US – Chornobyl nuclear power plant
(Volodymyr Ivanyshyn – The Kyiv Independent) The U.S. has pledged up to $100 million for a Group of Seven (G7) initiative for repairs to the New Safe Confinement (NSC) arch at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant, the State Department announced April 29. “Consistent with the United States’ continued leadership on issues of nuclear safety and non-proliferation, working with Congress, the United States is proactively committing 20%, or $100 million, of the G7’s estimated $500 million cost to rehabilitate the NSC arch and ensure continued safety and security of the Chornobyl reactors and nuclear material,” the statement read. – US pledges financial support for G7 initiative to repair Chornobyl confinement structure
US – Germany
(Jack Detsch and Aaron Pellish – Politico) President Donald Trump says the Pentagon is looking at withdrawing some of the nearly 40,000 American military personnel in Germany just days after the country’s leader sharply criticized the U.S.-led war in Iran. Trump said in a social media post late Wednesday that the U.S. is “studying and reviewing” cutting back the American deployment of troops to Germany that has for decades served as a prominent component of NATO’s defense of Europe and has strong support on Capitol Hill. – Trump says US considering reducing troops in Germany – POLITICO
US – Iran
(AFP/Al Arabiya) Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian on Thursday said a US naval blockade of Iranian ports would deepen disruptions in the Gulf and fail to achieve its objectives. “Any attempt to impose a maritime blockade or restrictions is contrary to international law… and is doomed to fail,” Pezeshkian said in a statement. – Iran president says US naval blockade ‘doomed to fail’
(Stephen Collinson – CNN) President Donald Trump’s maritime blockade is the latest attempt to test a thus far unproven theory of the Iran war — that superior US might will inevitably break the Islamic Republic. The strategy is based on a simple premise: The strangulation of Iran’s oil exports and the imports that sustain regular life there will trigger societal collapse. This will build unbearable pressure on the regime to bow to US demands to permanently renounce its nuclear program. In Washington, this seems logical. Every nation, whether a radical theocracy or Western democracy, will crumble if it can’t assure access to the basics — food, energy and work. When US officials see soaring inflation, catastrophic job losses and shortages in Tehran, they conclude the two-week blockade is working. – Analysis: Trump is betting his blockade will defy history and break Iran | CNN Politics
US – Strait of Hormuz
(Reuters/Al Arabiya) President Donald Trump’s administration is seeking the participation of other countries to form an international coalition to restore freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, according to a State Department cable seen by Reuters. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio approved the creation of the Maritime Freedom Construct (MFC), the cable dated April 28 said, which it described as a joint initiative by the State Department and the Pentagon. – US seeks new coalition to get ships moving again in Strait of Hormuz, internal cable says
US – Venezuela
(AFP/Al Arabiya) The first direct flight between the United States and Venezuela in seven years was set to take off Thursday, a new sign of a thaw after Washington deposed leftist leader Nicolas Maduro. The American Airlines flight is scheduled to take off at 10:16 am (1416 GMT) from Miami en route to Caracas, where the United States has resumed diplomatic relations after years of tension. – US-Venezuela flights to resume in new sign of thaw



